This is just my personal note!
My most favorite screen saver on Mac OS X is "Red Baron" by Mr. Chris Kent (you can download it from http://cskent.com/redbaron/ , last checked 2008.02.12). It's fun to watch the famous "Fokker DR1" flying over the nice green field on your screen. First of all, I would like to thank him about distributing such an excellent software for free! (I tried to make my own based on some OpenGL examples, but I could not make a such beautiful screen saver...)
However, I would like to see other airplanes too. So I tried to switch this Fokker DR1 with Kyushu J7W1 Shinden.
Fortunately, the 3D model of Fokker DR1 used by this screen saver is accesible: related files are located in "~/Library/Screen\ Savers/RedBaron.savers/Contents/Resources/Models/FokkerDR1/". So all you need to do is replacing the model with yours in 3DS format, but using the same file name 'triplane.3ds'.
- Copy original 'triplane.3ds' somewhare safe: you have to check its size, orientaion, etc... and keep it whenever you want to fly it again!
- Prepare your 3D model : I tried some 3D models from "Flight Gear" (http://www.flightgear.org/Downloads/aircraft/index.shtml).
If you use aircraft data from "Flight Gear", you will find 3D model file as "<airplane_type>/Models/<airplane_type>.ac". (e.g. "j7w/Models/j7w.ac": however, the texture for this j7w.ac is not so good because it uses same texture image as other Imperial Navy planes....)
- Adjust its size and orientation to match the original 'triplane.3ds' on 3D modeling software: I used AC3D to do this - it is not free, but you can use it 14 days for trial! (I tried Blender first, but it could not read .ac models from "Flight Gear" properly...)
- If you don't have a good graphics card, try simplify the model too.
- Convert it to 3DS format
- Replace the original 'triplane.3ds' with your 3DS model, but use the same name: don't forget to copy texture files!
- Now activate "Red Baron" screen saver: (However, AC3D has some plebelms to export 3DS format with transparency.... and you have to work hard for the propellar to be good as the original Fokker DR1!)
The conversion to 3DS by AC3D is not perfect, but you can enjoy differenet airplanes on your Mac!
Please send opinions to .