Anime Japanese Subtitles
Why Japanese Subtitles? Anime is usualy in Japanese!
Of cousre if you are 100% healthy Japanse, you don't need it.
However it will be usuful for hearing impaired people in Japan (unfortunately, many Anime DVDs don't have Japanese subtitles...).
Also if you are learning Japanese as your second (or third or whatever) language, it will help you to study Japanese.
Actually, I started this for my kids (I'm 100% Japanese, but my kids are half American and they learn English as their first language).
Anyway, I'm not a super-duper FanSub person, just an old Anime Fan dude (before OTAKU generations...). So I cannot provide so many, but I'll try my best for my kids!
- GENERAL INFORMATION:
- All subtitles available from this web site is my own dictation and transcription from TV broadcasting (or from DVDs I own) for my personal use.
- But I'm happy to share everybody for free (NGOs for hearing impaired poeple, or studying Japanese are welcome!), but NOT for any commertial purposes.
- It still contains some typos, hearing or transcription errors (some video tapes are quite old when I captured), timing errors, etc...
- So, those files will be updated anytime.
- SUBTITLE FORMAT:
You can download '*.ass' format subtitles from here.
- TIME CODE:
Time code of these subtitles are based on my movie files (video captured from TV, CATV, BS or CS satelites, etc... and edited). Therefore, you may have to adjust start timing according to your video captures.
- ADJUSTMENT INFORMATION:
A single episode of Japanese anime usually consists from 5 parts:
- Opening song
- First part (A-part) (+ Eyecatch A)
- (Eyecatch B +) Second part (B-part)
- Ending song
Usually, subtitles are required for the A-Part, the B-Part and the preview part. (Of course, some episodes or some Anime series have extra part before openging song or using openging and ending song (music) parts as extra features....)
My subtitles includes comment lines like '; PART_01_TIME=0:01:30.12' which indicate the actual start time of the A, B and preview part (or more, if necessary). But these time code may be different from yours: some TV stations will cut some frames, cut preview, or you may keep TV ads and sponser credits in your AVI file... But don't worry, a simple C program can fix that problem. All you have to do is find corresponding time codes from your AVI file!
- Download 'shiftssa.c' from the link down below.
- Use UNIX-based operating system (includes Cygwin) to compile it. (VC++ should work too.)
Just 'cc -o shiftssa shiftssa.c' should work...
- Download '*.ass' file, find out how many '; PART_??_TIME=?:??:??.??' are included in the file (just open it from any text editor).
- Find corresponding time code in your AVI file.
- Execute the program like 'shiftssa -o NEW.ASS gundam01.ass 0:03:44.12 0:15:16.13 0:27:39.11' (time code may change according to your findings above).
- Then you will get the new '*.ass' file matched with your AVI file!
- CHARACTER CODE:
All '*.ass' files in this directory should be coded in UTF-8 with DOS type line-break (CR+LF). (if you find mistakes, please let me know.)
- KNOWN ISSUES:
- 'Encoding' values in '[V4++ Styles]' is '128' for Japanese, but I specified non-Japanese fonts (somehow, it works better in this way on VLC player...) and I may forget to change from default '0'....
- Some minor characters' names are not defined, or I named with my own way...
gundam01.ass: Mobile Suit Gundam TV series Episode 01 (37 kbytes)
gundam02.ass: Mobile Suit Gundam TV series Episode 02 (48 kbytes)
gundam03.ass: Mobile Suit Gundam TV series Episode 03 (50 kbytes)
gundam04.ass: Mobile Suit Gundam TV series Episode 04 (37 kbytes)
gundam05.ass: Mobile Suit Gundam TV series Episode 05 (49 kbytes)
gundam06.ass: Mobile Suit Gundam TV series Episode 06 (40 kbytes)
planetes01.ass: PLANETES Phase.1 (66 kbytes)
planetes02.ass: PLANETES Phase.2 (62 kbytes)
planetes03.ass: PLANETES Phase.3 (63 kbytes)
shiftssa.c: C program for changing Time code (21 kbytes)
xabungle01.ass: Combat Mecha Xabungle TV series Episode 01 (46 kbytes)
xabungle06.ass: Combat Mecha Xabungle TV series Episode 06 (89 kbytes)
xabungle07.ass: Combat Mecha Xabungle TV series Episode 07 (43 kbytes)
Move up one directory
If you have comments, please tell . Thanks!